Current TSA Liquid Limits & Rules
What Are the TSA Liquid Limits?
TSA liquid limits refer to the maximum amount of liquids, gels, and aerosols that travelers are allowed to bring in their carry-on baggage. The limit is 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) per container.
What Carry-on Items Are Included in the TSA Liquid Limits?
The TSA liquid limits apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols, including:
- Contact lens solution
- Drinks (including water, juice, and soda)
The following items are exceptions to the TSA liquid limits:
- Prescription medications
- Baby formula and food
- Breast milk
- Juice or water for a child's trip
These items are allowed in quantities exceeding 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) but must be declared at the security checkpoint.
TSA Liquid Limits in Checked Baggage
There are no restrictions on the amount of liquids, gels, and aerosols that you can pack in your checked baggage. However, it's important to ensure that these items are packed securely and won't leak or spill during transport.
Can you pack alcohol in checked baggage?
Yes, you can pack alcohol in your checked baggage. However, there are some restrictions on the amount of alcohol you can bring. You are allowed to bring up to 5 liters of alcohol with an alcohol content of between 24% and 70% per person in checked baggage. Alcohol with an alcohol content of less than 24% is not subject to these limitations.
How should you pack liquids in checked baggage?
When packing liquids, gels, and aerosols in checked baggage, it's important to take steps to prevent leakage and breakage. Here are some tips:
- Use travel-sized containers for liquids, and ensure that they are tightly sealed.
- Wrap fragile items in bubble wrap or other protective materials to prevent breakage.
- Place liquids and other items in sealed plastic bags to contain any spills.
- Pack liquids and other fragile items in the center of your suitcase, surrounded by soft items like clothing, to provide cushioning.
It's important to note that TSA regulations are subject to change, so it's always a good idea to check the TSA website or contact the airline directly for the most up-to-date information.